Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May Junkie Designer of the Month

This month the Designer of the Month is Rhonda Davis. Her style is classic and elegant; her work is stunning. Be sure and visit her blog often http://everythingpaper.blogspot.com/ so you can see her creativity at work!
Q. What part of the Houston area do you live in? What do you love about living there?
A. My family and I live in Pasadena, a city near Houston. We love living in this area because the school district (Deer Park) is awesome.

Q. What is your 'day' job?
A. By day I am a mild-mannered (well, sometimes) Mom to my three kids. I used to teach scrapbook classes. I am also a rep to the Houston Area Scrapbook Stores.

Q. Describe your scrap space. (Dedicated room, dining room table, closet, etc.)
A. I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated room to scrap in. To make it really mine, the walls are painted a light pink. My husband built some wonderful shelves and worktables. At least I think there are some worktables; I haven’t seen the tops of them in awhile. Always a project going here and there.

Q. How did you start scrapbooking?
A. I was a graphic designer and quit working when my first child was born (13 years ago). I saw someone ‘s Creative Memories stickers and albums and thought it was a great time to use my creativity in that direction.

Q. How long have you been scrapbooking?
A. Even though I started small 13 years ago; I would say I have been seriously scrapbooking for about 8 years. With a few years off while I was seriously into stamping and making cards.

Q. How often do you scrapbook?
A. Usually I work on projects daily, but it’s not unusual for me to take a week off here and there.

Q. How long does it take you to create a layout?
A. How long is a string? So many variables!! I’ve done some that have taken 20 minutes and some I have spent hours and hours on. I find that when I spend lots of time that things aren’t really falling together well.

Q. What is your favorite product line right now?
A. That's like asking me which of my children is my favorite! But some of the ones that come to mind are Little Yellow Bicycle, Fancy Pants, and Basic Gray, Cosmo Cricket

Q. Describe your Scrapbooking style?
A. From symmetrical, to whimsical to elegant, and lots of places in between. The photos I’m scrapping for the most part dictate my style. I think some of my best work is done using an elegant style.

Q. Share a favorite layout & why it's your favorite. Be sure to make note of what products you used.

This is a layout of my daughter. I was so inspired by her cute paperwork she brought home from school. I spent a lot of time planning the layout in my head; how to use the school paper, but still show her. I scanned her worksheet and printed it on acetate which then covered her photo. Using a large picture allowed the paper to be readable. The paper I used is by Foofala. The journaling was created by computer and printed on Foofala paper. This was published in “Scrapbook Answers” in April, 2006. *Note: This was also a "staged" layout. I obviously didn't have a picture of her doing this paper at school, so I set up a "photo shoot" at home and just asked her to draw or write whatever came into her mind. I took about 75 photos in about 5 minutes. In this one she forgot I was taking her picture and she was really thinking. Don't be afraid to set up the pictures you need to tell your story. It's not cheating. It's just another aspect of scrapbooking.

No comments: